BREVILLE RECOMMENDS SAFETY FIRST
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
BREVILLE RECOMMENDS SAFETY FIRST
At Breville we are very safety conscious. We design and manufacture consumer products with
the safety of you, our valued customer, foremost in mind. In addition we ask that you exercise
a degree of care when using any electrical appliance and adhere to the following precautions.
When using electrical appliances, basic
safety precautions should always be
• Carefully read all instructions before
operating and save for future reference.
• Remove any packaging material and
promotional labels or stickers before
using the espresso machine for the
• To eliminate a choking hazard for young
children, remove and safely discard the
protective cover ﬁtted to the power plug
of the espresso machine.
• Do not place the espresso machine
near the edge of a bench or table
during operation. Ensure the surface
is level, clean and free of water and
• Do not place the espresso machine on
or near a hot gas or electric burner, or
where it could touch a heated oven.
• Do not use the espresso machine on
metal surfaces, for example, a sink
• Always ensure the espresso machine is
properly assembled before connecting
to a power outlet and operating.
• Do not attempt to operate the espresso
machine by any method other than those
described in this book.
• The espresso machine is not intended
to be operated by means of an external
timer or separate remote control system.
• We recommend using cold, ﬁltered
water. We do not recommend the use
of de-mineralized or distilled water as
this may affect the taste of the espresso
and how the machine is designed to
function. Do not use any other liquid.
• Never use the espresso machine without
water in the water tank.
• Ensure the portaﬁlter is ﬁrmly inserted
and secured into the group head before
using the machine.
• Never remove the portaﬁlter during the
brewing operation as the machine
is under pressure.
• Do not touch hot surfaces. Use handles
or knobs. Allow the espresso machine
to cool down before moving or cleaning
• Do not place anything other than
cups for warming on top of the
• Do not operate the grinder without the
hopper lid in position. Keep ﬁngers,
hands, hair, clothing and utensils away
from the hopper during operation.
• Always switch off the espresso machine
by pressing the POWER button to
off and unplug if appliance is to be
left unattended, if not in use, before
cleaning, before attempting to move the
appliance, disassembling, assembling
and when storing the appliance.
• Keep the espresso machine and
accessories clean. Follow the cleaning
instructions provided in this book.
• Do not use espresso machine
attachments other than those provided.
The use of accessory attachments not
recommended by Breville may result in
ﬁre, electric shock or injury to persons.
IMPORTANT SAFEGUARDS FOR
ALL ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES
• Fully unwind cord before use.
• To protect against electric shock, do not
immerse cord, plug or appliance in water
or any other liquid.
• Do not let the cord hang over the edge
of a bench or table, touch hot surfaces,
or become knotted.
• Do not leave the appliance unattended
when in use.
• This appliance is not intended for use
by persons (including children) with
reduced physical, sensory or mental
capabilities, or lack of experience or
knowledge, unless they have been given
supervision or instruction concerning
use of the appliance by a person
responsible for their safety.
• Children should be supervised to ensure
they do not play with the appliance.
• This appliance is recommended for
household use only. Do not use this
appliance for anything other than its
intended use. Do not use in moving
vehicles or boats. Do not use outdoors.
• It is recommended to regularly inspect
the appliance. Do not use the appliance
if the power cord, power plug, or
appliance becomes damaged in anyway.
Immediately cease use and call Breville
• For any maintenance other than cleaning,
call Breville Consumer Support.
• This appliance is equipped with a
power cord having a grounding wire
with a grounding plug. The appliance
must be grounded using a 3-hole
properly grounded outlet. In the event
of an electrical short circuit, grounding
reduces the risk of electrical shock.
• If the appliance is of the grounded
type, the extension cord should be a
grounding 3-wire cord.
• If the power outlet is a standard
2-prong wall outlet, it is your personal
responsibility and obligation to have
it replaced with a properly grounded
3-prong wall outlet.
• Do not, under any circumstances, cut or
remove the third (ground) prong from
the power cord or use an adapter.
• Consult a qualiﬁed electrician if
the grounding instructions are not
completely understood, or if doubt
exists as to whether the appliance is
Fully unwind the cord before use.
SHORT CORD INSTRUCTIONS
Your Breville appliance is ﬁtted with a short
power cord to reduce personal injury or
property damage resulting from pulling,
tripping or becoming entangled with a
longer cord. Longer detachable power cords
or extension cords are available and may be
used if care is exercised. If an extension cord
is used, (1) the marked electrical rating of
the cord set or extension cord should be at
least as great as the electrical rating of the
appliance, (2) the cord should be arranged
so that it will not drape over the countertop
or table where it can be pulled on by
children or tripped over unintentionally
and (3) the extension cord must include a
3-prong grounding plug.
BREVILLE ASSIST™ PLUG
Your Breville appliance comes with a
unique Assist™ Plug, conveniently designed
with a ﬁnger hole to ease removal from the
CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65:
(Applicable to California residents only).
This product contains chemicals known to
the State of California to cause cancer, birth
defects or other reproductive harm.